Saturday, June 7, 2008

Who has a story?

My husband complains that I am always telling stories. At the grocery store, walking on the beach, passing in the hall, or leaving church, I cannot just answer "fine" when someone asks "how are you?" I realize it is just a courtesy question, but if I'm not "fine" should I lie to get on with my life? It is worse for the other person if they ask, "how's work?" or "what do you do?" because I teach high school and my day is filled with annoyingly entertaining anecdotes about teenagers' antics. Just the other day, we were reading Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver in ninth grade English and a character in the novel answers the news reporter rudely by saying, "desde antes que tu cagabas en tus panales." One boy, who pretends he doesn't know Spanish, made a fool of himself by asking if cagaba was food. I responded (completely inappropriately) Maybe you eat it. Cagada is poop.

3 comments:

Ms.DeLaCruz said...

Hi Tisha! You would never say inappropriate things to youngsters...right? My newest story involves The Temple Bar, Los Pinguos, a 2002 alum, and a mojito. Warning: the set up is better than the actual story.

Unknown said...

I know, I know. I've been meaning to post, but you know how things come up, people drop by, and the things that are most important (posting to this blog) unfortunately are the ones to suffer! I've been working on a little somethin' somethin' to post...actually, i haven't been working on it. I wrote something up mostly like a freewrite about men and women and their expectations and I can't figure out how to close my rant. I suppose I should just put aside the things that come up, ignore the people that drop by and work on the things that are most important...like this blog posting. Hey, I think I just did!

Diana Ritchie said...

Tisha,
I would love to hear more about your writing club. I remember the funny stories you would share with some of us. This is your old UCLA friend, Diana Valenzuela- Ritchie.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Warm regards,
Diana